This spiced toffee sauce is super easy to make and delicious. Its much tastier then the store bought sauces, giving you a lovely hint of spiced flavour and aroma.
It’s great for batch cooking because this recipe can easily be doubled. It will last also in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 28 days.
Best Way to Reheat Toffee Sauce
The best way to reheat toffee sauce is in a sauce pan over a medium low heat. Mix it gently with a wooden spoon every now and then until hot.
Step by Step Recipe
1) First add cream, butter, sugar & salt into a saucepan. Gently heat up the mixture (the butter will look like its splitting but that’s okay).
2) Once the sauce gets hot carefully mix it together with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved.
3) Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the spices. Continue to simmer the sauce for at least 5 minutes. The colour will start to change to an amber colour and the sauce will start to thicken.
4) Either add a lid or wrap the top of the pan with cling film. Leave the spices to infuse for 45 to 60 minutes.
5a) If you would like to use the toffee sauce now. Sieve the mixture into another sauce pan and reheat.
5b) If you would like to use the toffee sauce later. Sieve the mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate. This sauce will last for up to 28 days.
How to Make Toffee Sauce Thicker or Thinner
If you would like your toffee sauce thinner, heat up the toffee sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Once hot mix in a splash of cream and simmer, mixing regularly for 1 minute.
If you would like your toffee sauce thicker, reduce the toffee sauce in a saucepan over a medium low heat.
Recipes That Work Perfectly With This Spiced Toffee Sauce…
Spiced Toffee Sauce
- Fine Sieve
- Wooden Spoon
- 400 ml Cream 30%
- 40 g Butter
- 200 g Brown Sugar
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Clove
- Sea salt small pinch
- Add cream, sugar, butter & sea salt to a saucepan. Heat over medium low heat until the mixture starts to simmer. Gently mix the mixture together with a wooden spoon until the sugar has incorporated.
- Add the cinnamon stick, star anise and clove. Gently simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally. Turn of the heat and wrap the top of the pan in cling film. Leave to infuse for 45 minutes.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into your container.