Enjoy this delicious weight gainer smoothie recipe that takes uses 4 ingredients and takes just 2 minutes to make. It’s an effective way for people trying to gain weight quickly and healthily.
How to Gain Weight
Gaining weight is a science. To gain weight someone must be in a calorie surplus which means consuming more calories than your body burns.
- To increase your weight slowly, aim for 300 to 500 calories more than you burn each day. This should roughly translate to 0.7 to 1 pound gained per week.
- To increase your weight fast, aim for 700 to 1000 calories more than you burn each day. This should roughly translate to 1.7 to 2 pounds gained per week.
It’s about a 500 daily calorie surplus to gain 1 pound per week.
Calculating Your Caloric Needs
If you haven’t lost or gained weight for some time, the most effective way is to not change your diet and add the calories you consume daily for a week. If you are still about the same weight in a week, your average daily calories for that week are about your maintenance calorie levels.
Another way to estimate your daily calorie maintenance levels is to use a calorie calculator. These are more generic but can give you a rough figure of your maintenance levels. People with a high metabolism rate or/and large muscle mass will need to increase the number of daily maintenance calories from the calorie calculator.
Now you have figured out your base level of calories to need your weight stable, you can add the additional calories to your weight gain plan depending on how much weight your want to gain per week or month.
How to get the most out of this recipe
To get the most out of this smoothie for weight gain, use it for a calorie surplus, not a meal replacement. This means adding it on top of your maintenance calories, as this will cause you to have a calorie surplus and gain weight.
Adding this smoothie on top of your maintenance calories will give you an 855-calorie surplus, meaning you should gain approximately 1.8 to 1.9 pounds a week.
I also recommend exercising so that you are putting on muscle and not just fat. This is a much healthier approach for the vast majority of people.
Plus, having a calorie surplus and high protein diet (also known as a bulking diet), is one of the best times to exercise. As your body has adequate protein and calories for recovery and muscle growth.
One of my favorite times to drink this shake is for my post-work shake, as it’s packed with a lot of protein and carbohydrates to refuel my body.
To make this recipe the most accessible for everyone, I have calculated the nutrition with and without the weight gain protein powder. This will allow you to use different brands of protein powder and be able to calculate your macros.
With weight gainer protein powder
Without weight gainer protein powder
- Milk: Use whole milk instead of semi-skimmed or skimmed milk for the most calories. If you’re lactose intolerant, oat milk, almond milk or soy milk is a good alternative.
- Banana: Ripe bananas are best as they add a natural sweetness to the smoothie, plus essential vitamins and minerals.
- Peanut Butter: Look for a brand that doesn’t have any added sugars. For people with a peanut allergy, almond butter is a great alternative. And sunflower seed butter is an excellent option for people with a nut allergy.
- Weight Gainer Protein Powder: Use a high-quality weight gainer protein powder, and look for one that is low in sugar. You can typically find these powders in a variety of flavors, i found that chocolate complimented this recipe the best.
This is a straightforward recipe to make, so that aren’t many tips you’ll need. I have two that make cleaning the blender much easier, as the minutes add up when making this recipe regularly.
Tip 1: How to make cleanup easier – Add the milk first
Adding the milk first stops the other ingredients, especially the peanut butter, from sticking at the bottom of the blender. Sometimes the peanut butter can stick underneath the blender’s blades, stopping it from incorporating well into the smoothie. This makes cleanup harder and makes your micro count less accurate.
Tip 2: How to make cleanup easier – Start the blender on slow
By starting the blender slowly and increasing it to medium or high slowly, you allow the weight gain powder to incorporate until the shake. If you start the blender on high, the powder will splatter against the edges and stick. This means wasted protein powder and more cleanup.
Step by Step Instructions
1) Begin by pouring the whole milk into your blender. This can be done directly if your blender has measurement markings, saving you some cleaning effort.
2) Add the weight gainer protein powder into the blender with the milk.
3) Break the banana into halves or thirds, then place it in the blender. Follow up by adding the 2 tablespoons of pure peanut butter.
4) Blend the ingredients together for approximately 15 to 20 seconds or until you observe no lumps remaining in the mixture.
5) Pour the smooth and creamy smoothie into a glass or a protein shake bottle. It’s ready to serve immediately.
Storage and Leftovers
After preparing this high-calorie smoothie, drink it immediately for the best taste. If you need to store it, pour it into a mason jar or glass and cover then place it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to one day.
After storing your smoothie, you might notice that the protein powder has settled at the bottom. Just give it a good shake or a brief blend to bring back its smooth texture.
While this recipe specifically calls for a weight gainer protein powder, a regular protein powder can be used. However, keep in mind that weight gainer powders typically have more calories and carbohydrates, contributing to this smoothie’s high caloric content.
While it can be consumed anytime, this smoothie is particularly effective as a post-workout drink because it’s high in protein and carbs to help your body recover.
Absolutely! To make this smoothie vegan, you can swap the whole milk for a vegan milk substitute such as almond, soy, or oat milk. Additionally, ensure you use a vegan weight gainer protein powder.
Yes, teenagers can drink this smoothie, especially if they are very active or need to gain weight. However, because of its high caloric content, it’s crucial to balance it with regular physical activity and a balanced diet. It’s always a good idea to check with a healthcare provider or dietitian for personalized advice.
Yes, you can certainly drink this smoothie more than once a day, especially if you’re trying to gain weight quickly and are engaged in high-intensity or endurance physical activities. It can provide the extra calories and protein needed to fuel your workouts and recover effectively.
More Recipes You May Like
- Baked Chicken Kabobs in the Oven
- Beef Kabobs in the Oven
- Traditional Slow Cooker Hungarian Goulash
- Vegan Hungarian Goulash
- Vegan Keto Smoothie
Weight Gainer Smoothie
- 500 ml Whole Milk
- 1 Banana
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 60 g Weight Gainer Protein Powder
- Pour whole milk into a blender. This can be done directly if your blender has measurement markings, saving you some cleaning effort.
- Add the weight gainer protein powder into the blender with the milk.
- Break the banana into halves or thirds, then place it in the blender. Follow up by adding the 2 tablespoons of pure peanut butter.
- Blend the ingredients together for approximately 15 to 20 seconds or until you observe no lumps remaining in the mixture.
- Pour the smooth and creamy smoothie into a glass or a protein shake bottle. It’s ready to serve immediately.
- This weight gainer smoothie is best used for a calorie surplus, not as a meal replacement. Adding it to your regular diet on top of your maintenance calories will help you achieve a calorie surplus and aid in weight gain.
- The timing of consuming this smoothie can impact its benefits. It’s particularly effective as a post-workout drink because it’s high in protein and carbs, aiding in muscle recovery.
- To make this recipe vegan, swap the whole milk for a vegan milk substitute such as almond, soy, or oat milk, and ensure you use a vegan weight gainer protein powder.
- To make the cleaning process easier, add the milk first before other ingredients. This prevents ingredients, especially the peanut butter, from sticking at the bottom of the blender.
- Begin blending at a slow speed and gradually increase it to avoid the protein powder splattering against the blender’s sides.
- After preparation, it’s best to consume the smoothie immediately. However, if you need to store it, ensure it’s kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator and consumed within 24 hours. After storing, you may need to shake or briefly blend the smoothie to regain its smooth texture.