Quinoa is delicious and healthy. I mean there is a reason people say super food and quinoa in the same sentence, right? Quinoa’s a whole-grain, whole protein (meaning it contains all 9 amino acids) seed thats gluten free and high in fibre.
The plus side to quinoa is that it’s easy to make. Perfect for batch cooking for a meal plan and a nice healthy alternative to many foods like couscous and rice.
Why Do You Rinse Quinoa?
Quinoa has a bitter outer coating called Saponin. Saponin can easily be removed from the quinoa by either rinsing or soaking. A lot of packaged quinoa comes pre rinsed but I still recommend giving it a quick rinse.
Which Quinoa To Buy?
You can buy white, red and black quinoa or even a mix of all 3. Each one has a slight different flavour. For people first trying quinoa I suggest trying the white quinoa first. As it has the most neutral flavour out of the 3.
How To Flavour Quinoa
One thing I love about quinoa is its so easy to flavour. Simply replace the water and salt in this recipe with your favourite stock for a nice twist. You can also try half stock and half water for a more subtle flavour.
This Recipe Is Suitable For
- Gluten Free
- Vegan (Vegetarian & Dairy Free)
Recipes You May Like
How To Cook Quinoa
- Fine Sieve
- Medium Pot
- 100 g Quiona
- 200 ml Water
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve under cold water for 30 seconds.
- Add the quinoa, water and sea salt to a pot. Quickly bring to a boil then turn down to a light simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Turn off the heat and place a lid on the pot. Leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Take of the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Taste for seasoning then serve.