This Moroccan couscous recipe is super healthy and still packs a big punch of flavour. It’s quick and easy to make, using just one pot. This Moroccan couscous is vegan plus it can be prepared ahead of time and served as either a main course or side dish.
Asparagus is a great source of vitamin A, C and iron. It’s the third most iron packed vegetable and contains 55% of your recommended daily value per 100 calories.
Aubergines are an excellent source of fibre. Plus they are a good source of vitamins B1, B6 and potassium.
Garlic has been used in food medicine for thousands of years. It has been referred to as ‘Russian penicillin’ due to its antibacterial properties.
Peppers are packed with vitamins A and C. Providing 212% of the recommended Vitamin C in just 100 grams
How To Cook Couscous
Couscous is probably one of the easiest foods you can cook. The best way to cook couscous would be to either follow the package instructions or follow this method below (which i normally do).
- In a pot bring the same quantity of water to the amount of couscous you are cooking (200g couscous for 200ml water) to the boil. Add salt and couscous, mix and place a lid on the pot. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Take off the lid and with a fork thoroughly mix the couscous. Serve.
Moroccan cuisine is renowned for its use of spices, with one of their famous spice mixes Ras el hanout which can contain up to 50 different spices. Most of us don’t have 50 spices. So I have kept it simple. However, if you are feeling confident feel free to add to this spice mixture.
There are many brands of Harissa paste, some good some bad, it’s important to get the right one or you run the risk of ruining your meal. Here is my recommendation.
Try adding some of these spices grounded: coriander seed, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cayenne pepper & cloves.
This Recipe Is Suitable For
- Vegan (Vegetarian & Dairy Free)
More Recipes You May Like
- 400 g Couscous 200g raw weight (check notes)
- Olive Oil
- 2 Onion diced
- 2-3 Garlic minced
- 2 Pepper roughly diced
- 150 g Asparagus the ends cut off then roughly sliced
- 1 Aubergine roughly diced
- 300 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Harissa Paste
- 1 ½ tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- In a large pot over a medium heat sauté onions for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds. Add asparagus, peppers & aubergine. Season with salt and sauté for 10-15 minutes, until softened. Add the spices and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add 1/5 of the vegetable stock and deglaze the pot (scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pot). Add the rest of the vegetable stock, tomatoes, sugar & oregano then bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to a light simmer and place a lid on the pot, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste & adjust seasoning if needed. Mix in couscous and serve with a sprinkle of coriander.
- In a medium pot bring 200ml of salted water to the boil. Add 200g couscous, mix and place a lid on the pot. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Take off the lid and with a fork thoroughly mix the couscous. Leave too cool.