Riso allo zafferano is a traditional Milanese dish thats rich and packed with flavour. It uses simple good quality ingredients that work in harmony to deliver a rich and balanced saffron risotto.
It’s perfect for risotto beginners as it uses basic risotto preparation and only takes 30 minutes. Because of the simple preparation its extra important to use the best quality ingredients you can get.
Where does riso allo zafferano come from?
Riso allo zafferano comes from Milan and is a very traditional and famous dish in Milanese cuisine. Saffron risotto has been made in Milan for more than two centuries. It’s first appearance was in a cookbook dating back to the early 18th century.
It can be found in many traditional restaurants in Milan and is sometimes served with pan fried bone marrow.
- Measure the ingredients and place to the side. Add the stock to the hob on a low heat.
- Add the shallots and half the butter to a medium pot over a medium low heat.
- Sauté the shallots for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and saffron and sauté until the rice starts to become translucent.
- Add the white wine and reduce until evaporated.
- With a ladle add enough stock to cover the rice. Slowly simmer the rice whilst stirring regularly.
- Once you can to see the rice grains. Add another ladle and stir. Repeat this until you have used all the stock and the rice is al dente.
- Reduce the stock until it has slightly thickens. Check with a wooden spoon.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the rest of the butter and parmesan.
- Taste and session with salt and pepper.
How to make this recipe vegetarian
To make this recipe vegetarian you can easily swap out two ingredients. Swap the beef stock for vegetable stock, this will give your risotto a lighter colour and taste. Then swap the Parmigiano Reggiano for a vegetarian Italian hard cheese as Parmigiano Reggiano contains animal rennet.
The risotto will be a little lighter in taste and colour but still rich with a lot of flavour!
This Recipes Dietary Needs
- Gluten free
- Nut free
- Can easily be made vegetarian
More Posts You May Like
Riso allo zafferano (Saffron Risotto)
- Medium Pot
- Medium Saucepan
- 250 g Carnaroli Rice
- 40 g Butter cubed
- 1 Shallot very finely diced
- 125 ml Dry White Wine
- 800 ml Beef Stock
- 40 g Parmigiano Reggiano micro grated
- 1.5 g Saffron Pistils
- Sea Salt & White Pepper to taste
- Add the shallots and half the butter to a medium pot over a medium low heat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the risotto rice and saffron and sauté until the rice starts to become translucent, this will take approximately 1 minute.
- Add white wine and reduce until evaporated. With a ladle add enough stock to cover the rice. Slowly simmer the rice whilst stirring regularly, adding ladles of stock every few minutes so the rice stays covered. Do this until the rice is al dente, this should take about 15 minutes.
- Once you have used all the stock and the rice is al dente, reduce if necessary until the stock has slightly thickened.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the rest of the butter and Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir until the mixture is fully incorporated and session to taste with salt and pepper.
- Leave to sit for 1 minute, mix again then serve.