This one pot, vegan Puy lentil soup uses Mediterranean ingredients and flavours to give you a fresh yet hearty & delicious soup. It’s packed with healthy nutrition containing high amounts of iron, magnesium, potassium & vitamins A,B-6,C & K. These are all essential to maintain good energy levels.
This lentil soup can also be served as a wholesome starter feeding 8 people or as a main course to serve 5. Try serving with fresh bread.
What are Puy Lentils?
Puy lentils are a variety of green lentils that is small in size. They are approximately a third in size of standard green lentils. They are grown in rich soil from the Le Puy en Velay area of France. This is said to give them their superior flavour. Another great thing about the Puy lentil is that they hold extremely well when cooking, making them a great choice for this recipe.
Health Benefits of Lentils
- Lentils have many health benefits they are packed with dietary fibre, containing 31 grams of fibre for 100 grams of lentils (that is 124% percent of the recommend daily amount).
- They contain vital nutritions like folate, iron, magnesium and potassium which are all essential for good health and energy levels. Lentils also contain zero cholesterol and next to no sugar.
Can’t find Puy Lentils in the supermarket?
If you can’t find puy lentils and still want to try this recipe, don’t worry! The next best thing is to use any other type of good quality green lentils. I have tried and tested this recipe with multiple types of green lentils and the soup still comes out delicious. The only thing you may need to change is the cooking time & the amount of stock needed.
For your ‘normal’ green lentils which are slightly bigger add 500ml more of vegetable stock and simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes longer.
More Vegan Recipes
Puy Lentil Soup
- Large deep sauté pan or Large pot
- 60 ml Extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 2 small Carrots finely diced
- 2 Celery sticks finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 500 g Puy lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 125 ml Dry white wine
- 1.75 litres Vegetable stock warmed
- 250 ml Passata
- Flat parsley remove and finely chop the stalks
- Sea salt
- In a large deep sauté pan over medium heat sauté onions, carrots and celery for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Next add lentils and wine, stirring slowly until the wine has evaporated. Next add stock, passata, parsley stalks and a pinch of salt then simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally (adding more stock if necessary).
- Once the lentils are tender and the soup is dense turn off the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of parsley and toasted bread.
- Puy lentils can be replaced for any other good quality green lentils
- Passata can be swapped for 1 tbsp of tomato paste