Poached eggs & smashed avocado on toast is one of my favourite breakfast / brunch recipes. It’s very healthy, hearty and easy to make. Taking just 10 minutes.
Its packed with healthy fats, protein and complex carbs. Plus it has essential vitamins like vitamin b-6 and C. Which are all essential for good energy levels.
This is the type of breakfast you should have when you need a productive day!
How to make Smashed Avocado Video
Here is a very easy to follow video for how to make the smashed avocado part of this recipe. This video recipe is enough to serve 4, so simply half the ingredients.
Tips on Poaching Eggs
Some people struggle to make poached eggs for the first few times. A lot of the time this is because they are missing a ‘tweak’ on their technique.
- Make sure the water isn’t boiling – This will rupture the egg from setting nicely
- Make sure to add vinegar – Vinegar helps the egg set
- Whirl the water before adding the eggs – This will help the egg white wrap around the egg yolk
- Don’t add salt into the water – This is because salt breaks down the egg white
- Use the fresh’s eggs possible – Fresher eggs have tighter proteins and egg whites. This will help your poached eggs keep a better shape.
This Recipe is suitable for
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free (when using gluten free bread)
Recipes You May Like
Poached Eggs & Smashed Avocado on Toast
- Mixing Bowl
- Medium Pot
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Slices Good Quality Bread wholegrain
- 1 tbp White wine vinegar
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ Red onion
- ½ Tomato
- ¼ Lime
- Sea Salt
- Cut into the avocado and around the seed lengthways. Twist the avocado open. With a spoon scoop out and dispose of the seed. Squeeze the avocado into a mixing bowl (If the small circle stalk end has fallen into the mixture, scoop it out with a spoon)
- Dice half a red onion and add to the mixing bowl. Cut the tomato into quarters. Next cut off the tomato flesh and dispose of the flesh. Now dice the tomato skin and add to the mixing bowl. Add lime juice and sea salt. Smash together the avocado, taste and check for seasoning. Then place to the side
- Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Add a dash of vinegar and stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool. Crack the eggs inside. Cook for 2 minutes, until the whites have set. Lift out the eggs using a slotted spoon and place onto kitchen paper. Meanwhile toast the bread.
- Place a piece of toast on the plate, followed by half the smashed avocado and two poached eggs. Sprinkle over a little sea salt and serve.