This corned beef and rice recipe is quick and easy and uses long lasting ingredients that give you a healthy kick of essential vitamins. It’s a great recipe to keep on hand, as it uses long lasting ingredients and only takes 25 minutes to make. Plus its delicious!
If you wanted to you could literally get it simmering in minutes, turn the heat down for a very light simmer (so it doesn’t catch at the bottom) and then come back whenever you are ready to finish it off. It’s sooo easyyy.
So What Is Corned Beef?
It’s a salt cured beef brisket. With the name corned beef coming from the curing treatment process, as it uses large grained rock salt that is also called ‘corns’ of salt. Corn beef can either be pink or grey depending if the recipe has used nitrates or nitrites. These convert the myoglobin which gives the beef that pink colour.
What Does Corned Beef Taste Like?
Corned beef like most salt cured recipes has a slight briny & salty taste. Plus that strong meaty flavour you get from beef. It is commonly cooked again with many recipes using spices, sugar and vinegar. This gives it a more balanced flavour. In my recipe below I use natural sweetness and acidity from the sweetcorn and tomatoes. Then tabasco and onion to add depth.
This Corned Beef & Rice Recipe Is Suitable For
- Celiacs (Gluten Free)
- Dairy Free
More Recipes You May Like
Corned Beef and Rice
- Medium Pot
- Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion
- 300 g Corned Beef tinned or fresh
- 200 g Sweetcorn tinned
- 400 g Chopped Tomatoes tinned
- 600 g Cooked Rice or cook 250g of raw rice
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco pepper sauce
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot. Add onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until browned. Add corned beef and cook for 2 minutes. Add sweetcorn and tomatoes, rinse the can of tomatoes with water and add it to the pot. Next add tabasco and salt then stir. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add rice and mix.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley (optional)