These creamed leeks are rich and complex in flavour yet very easy to make. They use just 5 ingredients which are all made in one pot. This side dish goes perfectly with a Sunday roast or Christmas dinner.
Leeks are part of the Allium family which is the same as onions, spring onion, garlic and chives. They have a mild onion like taste. The white and the lighter green parts are generally for general cooking. The darker green parts are normally discarded or used for stocks due to their tough texture.
Leek Health Benefits
- Leeks are a good source of vitamins A, B-6, C and K. They contain approximately 33% of the recommended daily vitamin A in just 100 grams.
- Additionally they are also a good source of iron and magnesium which are essential for good energy levels.
Sunday Roast & Christmas Dinner
Creamed leeks are just one of many side dishes you will find with either a British Christmas dinner or Sunday roast. More common accompaniments include Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, sessional vegetables and gravy.
If you are looking for more side dishes for your Sunday roast or Christmas dinner try one of these delicious recipes!
This Recipe is Suitable For…
- Celiac (Gluten Free)
- Keto Diet
- Large Pot
- 30 g Butter
- 3 Leeks
- 125 ml White wine
- 300 ml Cream double or whipped
- 2-3 tsp Wholegrain mustard
- Chives optional
- Sea Salt
- Slice off the dark coarse green part from the top of the leeks (you can keep these for stock or discard them).
- Slice the leek in half lengthways. Wash under cold running water making sure to wash all the layers thoroughly.
- Once washed finely sliced the leek from the light green part down to the root (discard the root).
- In a large pot over medium-low heat add the butter. Once melted add the leeks and sweat for 15 minutes (until softened and the liquid has evaporated).
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the white wine. Mix and continue to cook until the wine has evaporated, this will take a few minutes.
- Add the cream and whilst stirring regularly simmer until the cream has thicken,this should take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wholegrain mustard and serve fresh from the pot with a sprinkle of chives.